Tuesday, June 17, 2008

OUR INTERVIEW WITH JANET



Shabby Mosaic 3 Piece Silver Tea Set


This is a Gorgeous Mosaic Tea Set. Quite wonderful with lots of vintage china roses and stained glass. On the top of the teapot and sugar bowl is quite the assortment of fu fu embellishments. Vintage buttons, pearls, beads, roses and jewelry. Simply Fabulous!!

Who are you?
Janet Lauer of Grindstone Mountain Mosaics.

Where are you located?
In the great little Victorian town of Eureka Springs which sits high in the Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas.
http://www.eurekaspringschamber.com

What do you create?
I create pique assiette mosaics using vintage china and mixed media. Pique assiette is a style of mosaic that incorporates pieces of broken ceramics or china into the design. My love is for the Shabby Chic, Victorian, Country and Romantic Cottage styles which explains my using lots of vintage china with roses and floral's. I love adding whimsical embellishments on my projects such as vintage jewelry, buttons, china or handmade roses, seashells and whatever else catches my eye.

Where do you sell your creations?
www.hillspeak.etsy.com , www.atimeforprimitives.com I have several booths in different malls and galleries. I also sell on ebay with my ebay seller name "hillspeak".



Where do you create?

In my studio which looks out over my million dollar view of the mountains. I have lots of bird feeders on my deck and love to watch them as I am creating something.

What inspires you?

I just love vintage china especially china with loads of pink roses. I have loved antiques for a long time and find that the antique china patterns are so much more beautiful than what is made today. I try to envision a pattern in my head by setting plates in a pattern on my table before I even begin to cut them. I will move them around and change them out until I am satisfied with the colors and design.


Shabby Cottage Small ANTIQUE SEWING CABINET/CUPBOARD China Mosaic

Is your Etsy shop a full-time job, part-time job, or hobby?
Right now it's part time but am finding it is taking more of my time every day and hope to make it full time soon.

What role does creativity play in your marketing methods?
I feel that handmade items are sought after more and more and I believe that my items are very unique and can fit into anyone's home decor.


What do you friends and family think of your creations?
My husband and kids always encourage me but I don't think they are really into the pink shabby look like I am. Ha!

What do you do when you are not creating?
I love spending time with my 3 grandkids, antiques, cooking, gardening and birdwatching.

What are your goals?
I just love Etsy and hope to increase my exposure there. I am also going to have my own website soon and concentrate on selling my items there.

How do you envision your creations being used by your customers?
My past clients have used my items in their bed and breakfasts, gift shops for displays and in their homes.


4 comments:

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I am a new member at DSG and am awed by all the talent here. Janet's mosaics are gorgeous! I am going to enjoy reading all the previous posts and visiting those shops, too!

Unknown said...

What a great interview and feature! Her mosaic work is just beautiful!!

Andrea said...

These are so beautiful! I absolutely love them. That tea set is very cool!

ShabbyBoutique said...

I too create mosaics from broken china and vintage jewelry and other baubles, but when I see others creations they still take my breathe away. Janet your mosaics are Inspiring and Gorgeous!...Jewel ;o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails